Instant Pot Ground Beef Olive Lover’s Chili is a delicious no-bean low-carb beef chili recipe that’s perfect when the weather gets extra cold! And this chili recipe will be perfect for everyone who likes chili with olives.
PIN Instant Pot Ground Beef Olive Lover’s Chili to make it later!
Right now the weather is extra cold for this time of year over many parts of the U.S. And I think chili made in the Instant Pot is the perfect idea for dinner when it’s really cold! And even though I have quite a few Chili Recipes, this Instant Pot Ground Beef Olive Lover’s Chili is one I find myself making over and over.
This chili recipe starts with ground beef, which is something I always have in the freezer. Then I add onions and red bell peppers, briefly cooked and combined with garlic, cumin, chili powder, dried cilantro (or not), canned green chiles, beef stock, crushed tomatoes, and two cans of black olives!
All those flavorful ingredients go into the Instant Pot to cook for a few minutes at high pressure, and when it’s done I add a little lime juice and serve with plenty of grated cheese and sour cream cream.
And anyone who loves olives (like me!) will love this low-carb beef chili with olives, I can promise you that. It’s also a pretty mild chili, so people who don’t like really spicy chili will enjoy this one. And if you’re not an Instant Pot user, I’ll give you my best thoughts about making this olive lover’s chili on the stove as well.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is ONLY a list of ingredients for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
What size Instant Pot did I use?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes.Check out all my Instant Pot Recipes! You can find lots more Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site, Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker.
Want more low-carb chili recipes?
If you’re watching your carbs you might want to look at Amazing Low-Carb and Keto Chili Recipes on this site for even more chili recipes. Or check out a round-up of The BEST Low-Carb and Keto Instant Pot Chili Recipes on my Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker site.
Want even more ideas for Chili?
For even more Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or make-on-the-stove chili recipes of all types from Kalyn’s Kitchen, check out Healthy Chili Recipes Your Family Will Love!
How to make Instant Pot Ground Beef Olive Lover’s Chili:
(This is ONLY a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- I know some people want to cook everything in the Instant Pot (affiliate link), but if I’m going to saute a few ingredients I like to use a pan and add each one to the Instant Pot as it’s done. Your choice on that!
- Heat the olive oil and cook the beef until it’s nicely browned, then add to the Instant Pot.
- While the beef cooks, chop the onion and red bell peppers.
- Add a tiny bit more oil if needed and cook those just a few minutes to start to release flavor; then add the crushed garlic, ground cumin (affiliate link), chili powder, and dried cilantro (affiliate link) (optional) and cook a few minutes. Add all that to the Instant Pot.
- Drain the olives and cut in half. Then add the olives, one can diced green chiles, one can beef stock, and 2 cans crushed tomatoes to the Instant Pot.
- Lock lid, set to HIGH PRESSURE, and cook 15 minutes. Use the QUICK RELEASE to release the pressure.
- Check to see if you feel the chili should be a bit thicker, and cook for a few minutes using SAUTE, MEDIUM HEAT if you prefer a thicker chili.
- Stir in the lime juice and season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Serve the Ground Beef Olive Lover’s Chili hot, with plenty of grated cheese and sour cream to add at the table if desired.
More Variations for Low-Carb Chili:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, stem and seeds removed and chopped
- 1 T crushed garlic
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T chili powder (see notes)
- 2 tsp. dried cilantro (optional, but good if you like cilantro)
- 2 cans black olives (6 oz. cans)
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles (see notes)
- 1 14 oz. can beef broth
- 2 14.5 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 T lime juice (see notes)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until the beef is cooked through and nicely browned. Add cooked beef to the Instant Pot (affiliate link). (You can also cook the beef right in the Instant Pot and then remove it to saute the onions and spices if you prefer.)
- While beef cooks, peel the onion and chop into pieces about 1/2 inch square. Cut out stem and remove seeds from the red bell pepper and chop peppers into pieces the same size as the onions.
- Heat the other 2 tsp. oil in the frying pan (or in the Instant Pot) and saute the onions and peppers until they’re barely starting to soften. Then add the crushed garlic, ground cumin (affiliate link), chili powder, and dried cilantro and cook about 2 minutes more. Add onions, peppers, and spices to the Instant Pot.
- While you cook the onions and peppers, drain olives and cut each one in half.
- Deglaze the frying pan with the can of beef stock and add to Instant Pot with the diced green chiles and juice, crushed tomatoes, and olives. (If you cooked the beef in the Instant pot and then removed to cook the onions, peppers, and spices, put the beef back on.)
- Lock the lid and set the Instant Pot to HIGH PRESSURE and cook 15 minutes.
- Use QUICK RELEASE to release the pressure.
- Check to see if you’d like the chili to be a bit thicker, and if so use SAUTE, medium heat and cook until some water has evaporated and chili is as thick as you prefer.
- Stir in the lime juice and season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Serve hot, with sour cream and grated cheese to add at the table.
- Brown the ground beef as described above and put it in a heavy soup pot. Cook the onions, peppers, and spices as described above and add to soup with all the same ingredients as above but use 2 can (14 oz. cans) of beef stock for stovetop cooking.
- Simmer the chili on low heat for about 45 minutes, or until it has cooked and thickened to your liking.
- Turn off heat, stir in the lime juice, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot.
I like ground Ancho chile (affiliate link) for this, but use your favorite chili powder or ground chile.
Use Anaheim chiles for the diced green chiles (affiliate link) and not jalapenos unless you really want it spicy.
I used my fresh-frozen lime juice for this recipe.
This recipe created by Kalyn and tested with Jake and Kara.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 381Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 33g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Ground Beef Olive Lover’s Chili is a good main dish for any low-carb eating plan, and it can also be good for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend lean ground beef and low-fat dairy products, but low-carb plans would probably prefer full-fat ingredients.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Chili Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe
This recipe was posted in 2018. It was last updated with more information in 2022.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Desiree is a research journalist working performing her duties as chief editor at this news station. She is a talented writer and comes up with facts everybody wants to know.